Friday, September 30, 2011

Day before

Woke up wishing I'd have one more day between late-night dance fest and trail run. But at least there's today. Today, I am doing nothing. I even napped for nearly an hour, which seems crazy and wasteful, but there it is. I was tired. And I want to feel as fresh and zippy tomorrow morning as it is possible to feel, under the circumstances.

I'm going alone, and hope there will be somewhere secure for me to leave my bag. Will I have to carry my car keys with me on the trail? Probably. I will pick my shirt accordingly. To be perfectly frank, I'm not feeling very energetic or excited today. I'm trying to ignore what I'm going to do tomorrow.

I was really sluggish in the pool yesterday. I got through 2000m and called it quits. I felt tired and didn't want to wear myself out. Nothing like Monday's swim. I've also run twice this week and gone to a hot yoga class. Today, I'm trying to write, and I've got a sick kid home with me (in fact, he's spending the day in the same room with me, because he's lonely and bored), and I'm wearing ear plugs, and after school I have to go pick up our weekly order of local food.

But the babysitting has been arranged for tomorrow, and carpooling for my soccer kid, too. I'll be out the door by 7am. Need to look up directions and pack my bag tonight. Next weekend, I'm planning a 32km long slow run in preparation for the marathon. That will be the longest run I do before the marathon. I've done some research, and that sounds acceptable, even if not ideal. Then again, I haven't actually been training toward a marathon, and there's no way to switch gears this close to the date. I'll just continue to train fairly similarly to how I've been training, and know that I'll have to finish that race on guts alone. That will be my last race of the season, and of this quite astonishing year. I'm proud of the gains I've made in fitness and endurance. It hasn't been easy, and occasionally it's cramped my social life, but for the most part I'm happy with the balance.

Here's the thing about balance: just when you think you've got yourself upright and stable, you have to fight to find your core strength all over again. A balancing act is never ending, requires constant vigilance, and you have to fall sometimes, too.

I'll let you know how this race goes .... Here's hoping to enjoy myself during and feel happy afterward.

2 comments:

Tricia Orchard said...

One thing you can do with your keys - take off just the one you need and then loop it through your shoe lace before you tie your lace. You can tuck it into your laces. You can actually buy a little pouch with velcro that goes on your shoe that is specifically for your key.

It is also very likely that some of your clothing has a small pocket (which you most likely already know about).

Sorry that we can't be there tomorrow to cheer you on!

You probably already know this, but the forecast has changed for tomorrow. It will be chilly but sunny! Perfect for running!

Have fun! Can't wait to hear about it!

Carrie Snyder said...

Thanks for the key/lace idea. That sounds very secure. And I'll be very glad if it's not raining. Nervous, but also looking forward to it. Race starts at 9:30 (apparently there's a half-hour ceremony beforehand ...?? with pipers and such).