Thursday, September 1, 2011

Day: running trails at soccer

Ran yesterday morning with my friend for 8.5km to put me at a total of 56km for last week. And tonight ran for what I estimate was about 10km. Unfortunately, lacking a GPS device (okay, that would be a cool Christmas gift), I can't accurately map the trails to figure out how far I went. But I ran as fast as I could for 52 minutes, which, factoring in the steepness of the hills and the heat, should add up for about 10km. Sometimes I can't believe how light I feel as soon as I start to run. All of the heaviness of the day drops away. I was feeling sluggish today, tired, tired of being home with kids all day, tired of cooking and baking, and not getting time to think, and the instant that I picked up my feet and ran, I felt light as air. All of that tiredness dropped away. Yes, it returned during the run, but in a completely different form. I felt like I was working hard, my lungs were digging, my muscles were burning (on steep uphills mentioned before), and the tiredness I felt was there to be pushed through, or pushed against, as if by responding actively I could conquer it.

And get somewhere else.

My daughter was playing soccer tonight, so after 50-odd minutes I ran directly to the field and watched the rest of the game. Now that was hard. It's so much harder for me to stand on the sidelines than for me to run through a fairly high level of discomfort. All it takes to keep on running is ... well, it's just not stopping. But standing on the sidelines, I can't do anything but watch. I can't affect anything happening on the field.

I'm not good at watching. I need to be doing.

No comments: