Friday, September 9, 2011

Day: Back in the pool!

First of all, I had such a good run yesterday evening. Fifty minutes of booting it up and down hills on lovely shaded trails, in the company of a ton of other runners. The hills were alive! I have no idea how far I went, but I got faster as I went (I ran a loop, so I could see that each loop was progressively faster), and it felt much more effortless. Not entirely effortless, of course, but as effortless as running can feel. I didn't want to stop, but my daughter's game had already started, and I didn't want to miss any more.

This morning, I got up early and went swimming. Back to the pool! I haven't been in the indoor pool since June, and it was dark and it felt like the right place to be. The lane distance is terribly short, and I still don't have a good turning around method, but other than that, it was an entirely pleasurable swim. My stroke felt solid, and my technique has definitely improved over the summer, and I just basically swam for an hour. I'm contemplating dropping one early morning swim in favour of the triathlon class on Wednesday evenings. I'm not sure I can do more than three (very) early mornings a week. We'll see.

I swam for what I estimate was 2500m, or an hour. My goggles get really foggy, which was terrible for lake swimming, but kind of nice in the pool, though I couldn't see anyone until I was actually upon them. I also pull the swim cap right over my ears, so it's like being in a sensory deprivation tank (or so I imagine). And it's lovely. I had some good ideas for my new character and book. I didn't count laps until the end, so I'm only estimating my distance, but I was swimming in the same lane with a friend, so I guessed based on what she swam, plus what I counted when she got out of the water.

A good start to my Friday!!! But I'm going to need a nap, that's for sure. Time to go wake these children for school.

4 comments:

Tricia Orchard said...

Oh la la. You've piqued my interest. Is the triathlon class a swim class?

T

Carrie Snyder said...

Yes, want to join? Wed. evenings, rec centre, I think the time is 8-9:30. They run lots of drills and it's very individual, you can work as hard as you want. i'll let you know if I sign up. Still debating re time.

Tricia Orchard said...

Yes! I would love to join. Will have to check with Jeff. Heather has Brownies that night, I think from 6:30-8:00. Maybe I can work it out with the other mom - I take Heather and her friend to Brownies and she can pick them up.

When does it start? Where can I get more info?

Good luck writing today.

Carrie Snyder said...

Look in the programs and activities guide--you can sign up exactly the same way that you sign up for the kids' swim lessons. Let me know if you do!