Sunday, September 18, 2011

Day: looooong run

Two more runs to note. Did not run or do anything on Friday. Too tired to get up to swim, had insomnia and was awake through the night, and decided to sleep instead. I have a tight writing deadline to meet and that and other thoughts were keeping me awake and I couldn't add swimming to my to-do list. So ...

Yesterday was spent mostly at my daughter's soccer cup final. By the time we got home it was after 3pm, and we'd been gone all day, and I had another to-do list up to my neck and I was so stressed out that my husband suggested I go for a run. He knows me well. Off I went, and burned up the 12.2km route in under an hour. Don't know why, but I love the feeling of pushing myself past the point of no return.

That helped.

Today, I needed to do a long run in preparation for this upcoming trail run (now in less than two weeks). I wanted to go at least 20km, but didn't get started until nearly suppertime. But I'm home now, and I'm pleased. I ran for two hours and five minutes, and when I marked out my route, I'd gone 23km. Not bad. That puts me at around 5:30 or so per kilometre, and it felt very doable. I was not pushing myself, except toward the end when my legs started to fatigue. But I stayed in a very easy breathing mode. It's amazing the difference 30-40 seconds per kilometre make in the breathing and the effort. Knocking a couple of minutes off one's time is harder than it seems on first glance.

Okay, now to shower and get back to that massive to-do list, which is still there waiting to be done.

2 comments:

Tricia Orchard said...

WOW! Either you have gotten really, really fast in the past few months or you made a typo! :)

Are you looking forward to the Toad? I wish I was doing it. Maybe next year!

T

Carrie Snyder said...

Yah, that would be a typo. Better fix it. Make that two hours and five minutes. :) Not quite as impressive. But humanly possible. (The other time is probably humanly possible, too, come to think of it, but not by this particular human).