Sunday, September 11, 2011

Day: long(ish) run

Swam Friday morning. Did nothing on Saturday except stand in the kitchen all day making and canning pearsauce. I could have gotten up early to run, but I just didn't feel like it. I kind of regretted it, but on the other hand, I was so tired after being so busy all week. I needed that hour of extra sleep.

Yesterday was a long day, with fun events in the evening that included beer and wine. I partook, but not too heavily. Still, I didn't wake up in the mood for a long run, as I'd planned. But I put on my running gear, ate some breakfast, and headed out. The first couple of kilometres it felt like my body was not in the least bit interested in the prospect of running. I was glad I wasn't attempting a half-Ironman (which was being run today not too far from here). I went slowly and just appreciated the fact that I'd gotten out.

For the first time ever, I had to stop and pee in the bushes along the way. I'd barely gone three kilometres! But I felt much better after that, and started to enjoy the run. The weather was beautiful. There were lots of runners and cyclists out, and I ran all the way out to the countryside. I wish I could always run that far, and then I wish I could just keep on running (and maybe get a ride home ... because the problem with running out is that you have to, at some point, turn and run all the way back again).Fields and sky. Perfect.

On my way home, I knew when I hit the mark where I was 6 kilometres from home, and I was feeling so good that I figured I could try to push the pace a bit. So I ran as fast as I could manage, noting my time at each kilometre-mark (this is a route I know very well). I ran the first three kilometres in 14 minutes, which pleased me to no end, but then I started to feel not quite so perky after all. I made it 5 kilometres in 24 minutes, and then let myself walk briefly in order to take a quick drink, and then started up again. I didn't feel like I'd run that last kilometre very fast at all, but I still made it home with a time of 30 minutes for those last 6 kilometres. It was nice to know that I could run that far at that pace, after having already run what turned out to be just over 11 kilometres. But I wouldn't want to suffer at that pace for another seven, which is how much further I'll have to run in the train run in a few weeks. Still, I ran 17.2 kilometres in an hour and thirty minutes, and felt very comfortable for 14 of those kilometres.

All in all, it was such a happy run, and I was so glad to have made myself just get out there and try.

Good news: I've found a babysitter to come here to be with the kids on race morning, now just need to find some rides for the big kids to their soccer tryouts.

No comments: