Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Day 213: Brief Entry

Must get to bed, directly. Up to run with a friend early tomorrow, and I'm tired.

But I have to write about this morning's spin class, because it was definitely different. Fifth time's a charm. I felt like I was getting the hang of it, or my muscles were, and I did not suffer quite as exquisitely. In fact, I felt pretty pumped and happy. But there was a small cautionary moment in the locker room afterward. Another woman commented that she no longer gets dressed at home. With all of her training (she is a triathlete), she is doing something--running, swimming, spinning, etc.--every single morning of the week. Every single morning. I admire her determination. But I don't want to go down that road. Man. If I get to that stage, please, friends, hold an intervention on my behalf. Remind me about the pleasures of wine, and staying up late talking with friends, and going out dancing. Remind me that I am not, in fact, an athlete, but a writer, and that this is all an experiment, and that I can take the good things--like learning to swim!--and head off into the sunset contentedly leaving behind the daily exercise routine.

Though I might miss these arms.

Also made it to a 90-minute hot yoga class tonight. My muscles thanked me for the stretch. And then I came home and ate a cold supper. But I didn't have to do the dishes, or brush anyone's teeth but my own. And I needed that time alone in my own head. Better than a glass of wine. Um. Don't remind me of that when you're holding the intervention.

2 comments:

Tricia Orchard said...

I would be curious if to know if that woman has kids, and if so, how old they are. I trained almost every single morning as well, but that was when it was just me and Jeff. I know lots of people train when they have small kids, but I don't know how they do it! I think I need to wait until Lauchy is older and more self-sufficient before I try the "big" triathlon again. For now, small ones seem easier.

Carrie Snyder said...

Yah, I don't know, Tricia. Frankly, I couldn't imagine how a marriage could survive that much training (unless it were a joint venture). I have been surprised by how much extra time I've been able to take, but I couldn't do much more than I'm already doing without serious sacrifice.