Sunday, March 6, 2011

Day 218: A Week Gone By

I did it! I ran 14+km on Saturday, and it was really raining. I changed my loop to lengthen it by a kilometre, which added some variety to the run, but essentially I just ran around in a big circle five times, sticking to a pace of approximately 6 minutes/km. And then I ran home. I felt remarkably good after the run, which is the longest distance I've ever run in my whole life. I made it to a one hour yoga class to stretch it out in the afternoon, and was back again today for a 90-minute yoga class that involved even more long, held stretches.

I think I'll be ready to start this routine all over again tomorrow. I think so.

Here's how the past week looked: two swims, one spin, three runs (one long), and five yoga classes, including one kundalini class. I combined one swim with a run. Otherwise, any combined days of exercise included at least one yoga class. I'm reasonably satisfied with the amount of work I'm doing and my only change for this week is to add a kilometre to my indoor track run, post-swim tomorrow, hopefully at a 5-minute/km pace; and to up my long run on Saturday to 16km. This week, I ran for a total of 26.5 km, give or take.

Thank heavens for naps!

I tested out wearing water bottles on the long run, and drinking a sports drink. I didn't feel too geeky. And I was thirsty, and glad for a drink. I'll need to keep practicing to improve my drinking-while-running technique. It felt like I was wasting a fair bit of time wrestling with the bottles. My husband, who is a kinesiologist, has been reading up on nutrition for me, and it basically comes down to carbs. Eat more carbs, enjoy greater endurance, especially as your muscles train to change carbs into energy at an ever more efficient rate. He's got a gigantic text book that I've only just peeked at, but it's quite fascinating information.

Speaking of carbs, my eldest daughter informs me that supper's ready. She's made baked potatoes.

No comments: