Monday, March 21, 2011

Day 233: Quick Note

Just wanted to remark on this morning's work-out, for posterity. That's posterity, not my posterior. Guess what I forgot to bring to the pool today? Nope, not my suit, that would have been worse. My towel!!!! Thank goodness for a good friend. Who let me use hers post-shower and pre-run. I guess I could have borrowed one from the lost and found bin by the door, but that would really require desperation. Everything fit so easily into my backpack this morning--should have known it had nothing to do with magic or improved packing skills!

Last week I only got up super-early on one morning. I think my energy levels throughout the day were higher, and my thinking slightly less foggy. Slightly less. This week, I've planned the usual four early mornings, but I'm considering going to the pool an hour later on Friday. The lanes will inevitably be more crowded, but it might be a worthwhile trade-off. Today, I swam for about 45 minutes, and went a bit more than 1500m. I felt weary. Maybe Saturday's run has caught up with me. Despite a general fatigue, I felt relatively smooth in the pool. I'm working to make my turns quicker and smoother, so there is no rest at the ends, not even the second-long rest of grabbing on and pushing off, and also to have a greater sense of continuity. I've been swimming in the same lane with another woman for the past few weeks, and she does a very smooth turn, so I asked her today for tips. I also found out that she's training for triathlons this summer, and that she does about four every summer, and this will be her fourth summer--she said that it's addictive. And she promised me that Guelph was a great place to swim. Maybe she's got the scoop on the best triathlons around the province.

So that was my swim. The three-stroke-breath feels easy-peasy now, very natural.

I followed up with a drink and a 25-minute run on the indoor track: 5km. It was hard to keep the pace up, but I managed, putting one foot in front of the other at a continuing speed. I had no desire to push for another kilometre or two. I went straight home and showered and got supper in the crockpot and the kids out the door for school and nursery school. Still need to find time for a nap today .... I'm headed to the dr to beg for help for an infected pair of eyelids which are getting progressively worse.

No comments: