Sunday, March 13, 2011

Day 225: Break

My kids are on holiday from school. My youngest, coincidentally, has had a fever since Thursday night, and has been up regularly during the night for the past three nights--as many as ten times a night. He won't accept help from anyone but me, and screams when I send in his daddy instead. Ergo, I am getting very broken sleep. Ergo, I am starting to break down. I missed my swim on Friday morning. I did not get up early to run on Saturday, but did manage the long run in the afternoon, feeling somewhat refreshed by the break. I ran long and slow, this time for 16km. The guide I'm following would have me do the same length next week, then go shorter, then up to 18km for two weeks, then shorter again, and then 20km, then a very short run, and then the half-marathon. Which would be awesome, except the race I'm working toward is in four weeks. Yes, I signed up for something. I tried to find a half-marathon race that would fit with the guide's schedule (should have done it the other way round, I know, I know), but there was nothing geographically nearby. This race is nearby. It is also in four weeks. There is no way to prepare by the book, but when I signed up, I felt confident that I could complete it, and completion is my goal, not doing it within a particular time.

16km was fine. But I was dreadfully hungry. By mid-way, my stomach was literally growling. I drank virtually all of my liquids en route, without ill effect, but the last two kilometres my legs started to feel heavy, almost that feeling that is described as "hitting the wall." I think it was food-related. I ate a small breakfast and then spent the morning with another ill child at a walk-in clinic (yes, we're falling apart all over the place here; have I mentioned that I have an eye infection, too?), then raced home, absolutely famished, and ate a huge bowl of leftover pasta, then went directly for the run. I'd had a cup of coffee and maybe one or two glasses of water all day. And then I went and ran for an hour and forty minutes. It felt like the half-marathon distance was within my capacity to complete, but it also felt like it could potentially feel torturous--those last few kilometres. The funny thing about running for a long time is that it's not really that hard. I go at about a 6-minute/km pace, and it's basically just like any other run except it's longer. Running and running and yup here I am still running. My loop takes me around and around the neighbourhood, and mainly what I've noticed about running for a long time is that I keep hoping not to be noticed multiple times by the same neighbours. There's a feeling of excess, and vague pointlessness, about the long run. I feel a bit silly.

Today, I got to an hour yoga class to stretch out, and my muscles and joints feel generally good; but I'm definitely still more tired than usual.

With my kids on March break, and my sleep so terribly disturbed, I've been reflecting on being gentle on myself and taking this coming week slightly easier. Not taking it off, but dropping a few work-outs, and focusing on being with the kids (no naptimes possible either!) and enjoying the time together. I had planned to swim and run tomorrow morning early, having missed the Friday swim, but now I'm considering setting my alarm for a bit later, and getting up just for the run. I'd rather prioritize the run tomorrow, given next month's half-marathon goal. That's a lot sooner than the triathlon. I still hope to swim on Friday.

Last week: three runs, one swim, one spin, three yoga classes. Ran for 27 and a half km.

Plan for this coming week: three runs (one long), one swim, one spin, three yoga classes. Basically the same as last week. I hate to drop yoga classes, but there is only so much time. That's one less class than I'm planning to aim for when I ramp up the training again next week.

2 comments:

Tricia Orchard said...

Hello - more advice/comments from your friend (whether you actually want to hear this, who knows?).

When I run anything longer than 10K I start using gels or Sharkies (basically expensive gummies). I can't remember now exactly how often I would take them - I think every 20 minutes or so. You can experiment with what feels good. But I think once you start consuming something on the run then you need to keep consuming until you are done.

I also wonder if you might enjoy a different route rather than circling around. Obviously we are different people, but I definitely would not like doing the same loop over and over. I can give you some ideas of long run routes or if you go to the Running Room I am certain that they can give you some ideas too.

See you Tuesday morning? Want me to drive this time?

Tricia

Carrie Snyder said...

I love your advice, Tricia! I'm relying on it!

I will try the gummies. It's funny, because I thought for sure I wouldn't want to be eating something while running, but that's exactly what I wanted to do during that run--I wanted to eat something.

re the loop ... I actually find it quite comforting, going around and around, and never getting that far from home. I think I'm going to expand my loop again for the longer distances. The other good thing about the loop is that I get to know the terrain well, which feels safer in the winter--the icy patches, etc. In the fall, I was running different routes around town, but occasionally felt a bit unsafe, running on my own, especially early in the morning.

Weirdly, I'm liking the track at the rec centre. And that loop couldn't get any more boring! But I like it for the faster, shorter runs, and it's easy on my knees. That's where I went this morning.

I am happy to drive tomorrow again. I'll send out an email.