Thursday, April 21, 2011

Day 266: Epic Nap

Tired. Tired. Tired. I hope it's not burn-out. I think I'm fighting a virus, and have been all week. This morning, I got up and went swimming, swam for a happy hour, showered, came home, and went back to bed. No one in the house was awake yet. I told my husband to put a movie on for the little ones if I wasn't awake by the time the big ones left for school (and I gave him a few other essential instructions, the details of the day ahead that I keep in my brain on behalf of the whole family). And then I collapsed into a deep and epic nap. I slept for nearly two hours. I had a sense of what was going on around me, but nothing disturbed my sleep.

I'm awake now, and preparing for the day ahead, which is busy. I'm wondering: is this schedule in the least bit practical? I could probably complete the triathlon tomorrow with the training I've done. So what more do I need to do? Extra conditioning? I'd like to aim for a marathon, too, and there is the big trail race in the fall, but in the meantime, in the absence of an impossible goal, I'm not sure what to do with myself. Slow down a bit? Do I just need a few days of rest and I'll see clearly again?

Hm, did I just type: "in the absence of an impossible goal, I'm not sure what to do with myself"???? I wonder why I aim for the impossible. Maybe I need the challenge of a goal beyond my current capacity to complete. Or maybe I'm too tired for reflection and not thinking clearly.

Off to continue my day ...

ps Had a lovely early morning run yesterday, the usual 7.5k, and though my calf felt stiff at the beginning, it seemed to have loosened up as I went. But my shoulder is absolutely getting worse. Chiro appointment at noon today.

No comments: