Monday, April 25, 2011

Day 270: Post-Holiday

I ate a lot of paska this weekend. Paska is a white-flour, doughy, sweet Easter bread covered in icing and sprinkles (Russian Mennonite).

I also ran 10+k on Saturday morning. That was not a long slow run at all! But I woke up late, and felt rushed, and wanted to be done in an hour and not to carry along anything extra--no liquid, no food. It was a beautiful morning for a run. I actually got too hot and had to take off my jacket. I went fast rather than slow, and was home in under an hour. My goal for the 10k on Sunday is 55 minutes, or less. I'm hoping less, but after my run this morning, I know that might be over-reaching. Fifty minutes would be my absolute ideal goal, and I'm not sure my body is there yet. Will it ever get there? What does it take? ie. what does it take to run a half or a full marathon at a 5-minute race pace? I'm so not there yet. Sigh. I guess that's another level of fitness; I just don't know how to get there.

I also went a yoga class on Friday, and then took yesterday off. To eat the paska.

This morning, I was in the pool as usual and swam for 50 minutes. I did not go fast, but it was pleasant and smooth and mind-lulling. Then I went directly for a run at the track upstairs and pounded my way through 5k at a 5-minute pace. I wished I could go faster, but that was my edge, and even that was a struggle. My goal is to get faster, and to get faster I have to run faster. Duh. Sounds easy. I'm not sure how to build endurance at a higher speed, but I do have to remind myself that training runs are not the same as race pace runs. I can't "leave it all at the track" when I have to go home and look after four kids all day. (Kids have a holiday today; husband does not).

I came home and got a nap in before my husband left for work.

I did not buy a bike this weekend, but I did try a few out, and I think I know my bike. I just have to go and get it. Maybe today. If not, then tomorrow. But soon.

Tomorrow is my last spin class, so I need to be riding real wheels outside. On the road. Fast. Yikes. My helmet is many years old. I wonder whether I should buy a new one. This one has never been in an accident, but ... opinions?

I may run home after spin class tomorrow, to test out running after biking. It's about 5.5k, and most of it is downhill. Yes. I will plan for that.

:::

Last week: three runs, one spin, two swims, three yoga classes. (Runs were 6k, 7.5k, and 10k).

This week: four runs (including 10k race), one spin, one bike ride, two swims, three yoga classes. (No long slow runs planned, due to the race on Sunday).

1 comment:

NathKnits said...

As long as your helmet fits you properly, hasn't been dropped hard (or in a crash), and the foam and cover look intact, it's probably fine. Though if it's very old (like, more than a decade) there is a possibility that the foam might have degraded, but probably not.