Friday, April 15, 2011

Day 260: Experiment

I was going to take today off.

Due to some scheduling changes, I rose early Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday this week, and had therefore planned to skip any exercise today due to heading out to a concert last night (my siblings play in a band that must be seen and must be danced to, and they had a show in a city nearby). But when I woke up this morning, I realized that tomorrow my husband is working, and I'll be hard-pressed to get out for a long run, or even to a yoga class, and that Sunday is already packed with family events. Which left today; specifically, this morning.

So when I got out of bed, I pulled on my running clothes. All I have to do is put on the clothes, and it's like a superhero getting changed in a phone booth: I must fulfill this morning's destiny, as dictated by my wardrobe. (This is why I've come around to appreciating work-out gear and clothing. a) It's super-comfortable. b) It makes me feel like an athlete.). I had to get the kids off to school, a juggling act that requires me, on mornings when my husband isn't home, to be in two places at once (actually, it requires me to drive, which kind of sucks). So I asked a friend to walk my youngest daughter to the bus stop, and I walked my youngest son to his nursery school, realizing about a quarter of the way there that we were both completely underdressed (yah, it's sunny, but that wind cuts like a knife), and that he'd changed his mind about riding his balance bicycle. Suffice it to say: not a fun walk. But as soon as we'd arrived, and he got settled, I was off.

I made up my route as I went along, winding down familiar trails and streets. It usually takes my legs about a kilometre--and sometimes more--to settle in and get comfortable. Today, my legs never felt settled in. My lungs were calm and relaxed, but my muscles were weary. I had some pain in my lower left calf. I felt sluggish. But I also felt confident that I could tough it out and run for awhile. When I measured my route afterward (using the google maps distance measurement app), I'd gone 7k. That might be it for my running this week. My body seemed to be saying: slow down, take a day off, rest.

Somehow, I'd forgotten that yesterday was a crazy busy day. I swam for an hour in the morning. I went to a 90-minute kundalini class in the evening (lots of strength work and lunges), and then I went out and danced my butt off. I fell into bed about four or hours later than usual. And I was up by 7. Duh. No wonder my muscles were tired.

The experiment referred to in the blog title is about changing my exercise time. I wondered how it would change the rhythm of my morning to exercise immediately upon sending the kids to school, then shower, and get on with my day. No nap needed because I wouldn't be getting up early. My conclusion is that it's okay in a pinch, but not ideal. I was home and showered by 10am. But it took me longer to get myself organized for the day. I've made the nap a routine part of my morning, and it's not disruptive, it's just part of the flow of the day. Rise early, exercise, shower, home in time to make breakfast and see kids off to school and often to get supper into the crockpot, too. Then a power nap, usually about 40 minutes, then up for more food and coffee which I take up to my office and enjoy there. I'm usually sitting at my desk by 10, already feeling a sense of accomplishment. So I'm going to stick with it. But it's good to know that on mornings when I don't have the option to exercise early, a quick run can be tucked in, too, without sacrificing much time.

1 comment:

Nath said...

Might I suggest, for mapping out your run, this website: http://www.runningmap.com/ Unlike Google maps, which is amazing in its own right, it doesn't require you to follow roads - so if you cut across on a trail, or across a parking lot, or through a park, you can just do that on the map, and it figures out the distance for you. Unless things change, and Google now allows you to to that, in which case, just ignore this comment.

I do commend you for going running this morning!