Friday, April 22, 2011

Day 267: Holiday

It's a holiday and my husband is home. We even slept in this morning. Of course, my alarm went off at the usual time (5:14am) because I'd forgotten to turn it off, but I had no trouble crawling back into bed and falling asleep again.

It's been a long week, despite being a short week. I've strugged mentally (and physically) to keep up with my routine. But I've stuck with it. The swim yesterday was dreamlike. The kundalini class last night, our last of this session, and my last until my children are done with their soccer season, was not rippling with energy. But I was content with my level of commitment. I was careful to modify whenever it felt like my shoulder muscle was in pain--ie. not good pain, but bad pain. It's important to know the difference. And I ended the class feeling satisfied, a little bit high, and smiling.

Today, I would like to get to a yoga class to stretch, but have to hurry. And also have to rely on the goodwill of my husband who has already spent the morning with the kids to give me extra writing time (today is usually a writing day, so I was upset by the prospect of missing it; holidays so often fall on Mondays and Fridays, which are my two regular and full writing days; and I resent it, and get stressed about missing that time to work. You have to understand that "work", ie. writing, for me is not like work. It's like breathing.)

Husband's looking a little frazzled. Kind of how I look after a day alone with the kids.

::::

I've just done something spontaneous. I've signed up for a duathlon. It's a 4k run, 30k bike ride, 4k run, and it's happening next month, almost in my own neighbourhood. It will motivate me to a) get a road-worthy bicycle, and b) get out on the road and practice. And it will give me a chance to test my endurance and fitness in advance of the triathlon, while leaving out the scariest portion of the race (to me): the swim. In fact, it will be a longer race than the triathlon. But I am terrified, actually. The road riding part is scary. I don't want to crash.

Here's hoping I can find a bike tomorrow. That's my goal for this weekend.

1 comment:

Tricia Orchard said...

That is intriguing! Which race is it? That is something I might consider, unless you can't find a bike. Then you can use mine and I will cheer you on!

Lemme know!

T