Friday, April 8, 2011

Day 253: The Day Before

Tomorrow at this time, I will be running. "Settle in, 'cause you can do it." That's one of the sentences that streams through my head while I'm running. It has a beat to it. The other one is: "Steady on, 'cause you can do it." I don't know why I refer to myself in the second person, but that's what happens. Talking to myself.

The kids are home with me today. Yesterday, I got a chiropractic adjustment to help with a terrible neckache I'd developed this past week. I went to a yoga class on Wednesday and emerged with the clear understanding that I needed to take the next two days off: no running, no swimming, no yoga'ing, no nothing. Stretching fine. Sleeping excellent. I hope to be feeling good and restless by tomorrow morning, aching to go. I'm already feeling ever so slightly like that this morning, having missed my Friday swim. But my shoulder and neck need a rest, too.

But I still have to find a wristwatch for the race. I'd been using my eldest son's, but he took it somewhere and left it, and now we can only hear it beeping every hour on the hour--three quick beeps--but cannot for the life of us locate the darn thing. My husband had a watch, but it was out of batteries and he was unable to replace them. That watch is toast. I haven't had a watch since junior high. It's kind of a point of pride--I don't need a watch because I have an acutely accurate sense of time. But tomorrow, I need a watch. I know I will be distracted from my chosen pace, and it's really really important that I stick to it.

My goal for tomorrow is to complete the race in less than 2 hours and thirty minutes.

I still have to decide whether or not to drink a cup of coffee when I get up tomorrow morning. If it's early enough, I think I will. But I don't want to stop for bathroom breaks along the route. I also have a plan for the food I will eat, and what I will carry with me. I've decided to carry my own liquids, even though there will be four water stations along the way. I'd rather have it with me, and make my own decision about when to take a sip.

Okay, deep breath. Hopefully my next post will be all about how much fun it was. Hopefully.

3 comments:

Tricia Orchard said...

Hi there,

I am starting to feel nervous for you! Ack!

You can use my watch if you like. I can drop it by later today. We are going to be out putting Lost Cat poster in mail boxes so we can pop by.

From what I have heard/read, it is best to do what you would normally do before a long run. So, if you normally have a cup of coffee before your long Saturday morning runs, then do it. If you don't normally, then don't. Up to you.

Can't say it enough - good luck and have fun!

Tricia

e-mail me about the watch if you want it.

Nath said...

Good luck! Enjoy it!

Carrie Snyder said...

Thank you! I'm ready to go and hoping to enjoy the experience!