Saturday, April 30, 2011

Day 275: Beautiful Day!

Ha! I had to laugh when I re-read yesterday's post just now. The part about today being an off day. Whoops. Forgot that was my plan.

It's a beautiful sunny day, and my friend T was keen to get out on her bike too, so we met and went for the first outdoor bike ride of the season. And the first bike ride ever on my new bike, with clip-in pedals, and crazy gears, and skinny tires. It was so fun. The time whisked by. I couldn't believe when I got home -- just in time, as it turned out -- an hour and a half later. My daughter was ready to run out the door to soccer. We did not ride fast, for the most part, and stayed safe, crossing the streets carefully, going on sidewalks occasionally where there was no bike lane, or it felt iffy. We went 17km. Not a huge distance, but it felt so easy and light. Riding that bike is very different from riding my mountain bike, especially when one considers that my mountain bike is usually hauling a stroller plus two kids. Now that's a work-out. This is more like flight. Or fun.

I'm still nervous about going FAST. It scares me. But I could feel myself becoming more comfortable on the bike, even over the course of this short ride. I hope cycling becomes another element to keeping myself fit and fast, and able to keep running ... forever.

What else? Well, now I'm going to rest. Tomorrow is the 10k run, and I've picked up my race pack, and I'm set to go. I also got some different laces for my shoes, for the transitions in the duathlon/tri; and I got a tri-shirt that I can swim in, as well as bike and run in. I think I'm set for equipment now. This has not been an inexpensive enterprise, that's for sure, even with borrowing a wetsuit.

Oh, I was going to add that I did fall over once on my first bike ride today. I couldn't get one foot out of the clip, and lost my balance, and went down in a heap, attached to my bike. I hopped right back up again. Embarrassing, but painless, since I was at a stand-still and in grass. But still, embarrassing. Hopefully I've gotten the falling out of my system ...

1 comment:

Tricia Orchard said...

Don't be embarrassed about your fall - it was the best possible way to fall! Just as you said, on grass and at a stand-still...it could have been much worse or more dangerous. I have seen people fall at stop lights & close to traffic, so I think you were lucky. I am pretty sure that no one else even noticed!

I think you are a natural at this! You did very well and it was fun riding with you! Can't wait for the next one.

T