Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Day 272: Cold Feet

I'm really agonizing over this bike decision. It seems so self-indulgent and wasteful to buy a brand new bike that I will use only for pleasure. It's not a very practical purchase, since it's quite expensive, and I can't imagine using it to ride around town for errands and leave locked up somewhere. I've had two expensive bike strollers stolen (one of which was locked up), and I don't relish the thought of investing in another expensive bike-related item that could just get stolen. Thoughts?

On the other hand, I do plan to ride this bike for training purposes, not just for racing. And I don't have a bike that I can currently use right now. My mountain bike is old, and isn't actually mine (ie. the fit is not great). Even with new tires, which we've gotten put on, it's a clunker. I use it only to pull the stroller around town. It will basically be hooked to the stroller all summer (if I were handier, I could probably get it unhooked and hooked up more easily, and then I would use it for short trips on my own). 

I'm looking into used options. Without luck so far.

But I do need a bike, and I do need to get riding on a bike outside, and soon. Today it is going to rain and rain and rain, so I don't need that bike today. But what about tomorrow?

I also need: shoes, shorts, and a repair kit.

1 comment:

Tricia Orchard said...

It is a tough decision to make, for sure! I would LOVE a new bike, but we can't afford it at the moment. So even though I will be a little embarrassed with my bike at the duathlon it is going to have to do. I don't plan on doing any more races this summer so it doesn't make sense for me to get a new bike now. When/if I sign up for Ironman then I will get a new bike.

If you think you will do a lot of triathlons over the years then it might be a worthwhile purchase. It is tough because you might buy a new bike, do this duathlon and triathlon and then think, "that is enough" and not want to do more (I think you will love it and want to do more).

My friend bought a bike for $1100 a few years ago for her triahtlon and she hasn't used it since. I suppose she might race again one day, but for now she is not. I don't know if she would think her bike was a good purchase after all.

If you buy a new bike and then race a few times and really think you don't want to race anymore, I am sure that you could re-sell the bike without losing a lot of money.

Are you sure there is no one you could borrow a bike from? (now that I have signed up for the race - sorry!!!). Put the word out on Facebook. Maybe a friend of a friend?

I will e-mail my two triathlon friends and see if they know of anyone wanting to sell a bike or you can borrow one from.

Anyways, I am just rambling now and don't think I gave you any helpful advice in the end!

See you tomorrow!